Spring is in full swing, and you can tell by the thick coats of yellow pollen everywhere, that so is allergy season. Here’s a quick list of tips to help keep you clear and free this season.
- Neti Pots: Yes, they take a bit to get used to, but Neti Pots are an effective way to rinse and clear out nasal sinuses of allergens and mucus build-up. While the cost of saline rinses can add up, you can make your own saline rinse at home by combining 1 cup of water (boiled and cooled or distilled), 1/2 teaspoon of non-iodized salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda.
- Natural Western Herbs:
- Quercetin: A natural anti-oxidant that also helps prevent histamine release, quercetin is a gerat way to prevent and reduce allergies. While supplementing with around 1000mg per day work best, you can also load up on quercetin by eating citrus, onions, apples, parsley, tea, tomatoes, broccoli, lettuce and even drinking wine.
- Butterbur: The British Journal of Medicine recently found that taking 32 mg of butterbur per day was just as effective as the active ingredients found in Zyrtec, in dealing with temporary symptoms.
- Stinging Nettle: A long-time favorite for temporarily fighting allergy symptoms, stinging nettles are readily available at most grocers. By preventing the production of histamines, stinging nettle is a great, non-drowsy alternative this allergy season.
- Acupuncture (of course!): The American Journal of Chinese Medicine published 2 studies regarding the use of acupuncture for allergy symptoms. In the first one,a ll 26 participants noticed marked allergy relief, and in the second, over all of the 72 participants noticed symptom improvement within 2 treatments alone.
- We also teach our patients acupressure techniques, to help them maintain their health at home.
- Ear Seeds/Tacks: Another take home we offer free with any acupuncture treatment. Ear seeds are a safe, non-needle method used to reduce allergy symptoms and can stay in place for up to 5 days.
- Chinese Herbs: Chinese medicine has been working with helping people deal with allergy symptoms for thousands of years. The formulas listed are tried and true formulas.
- Yu Ping Feng San: A simple 3-herb formula that is great preventative and strengthens the immune system.
- Pe Min Kan Wan or Bi Yan Pian: Both are effective formulas at helping with rhinitis and mucus. To find out which is better suited for your body, contact us for a consultation.
- Diet: Very important and often overlooked, your diet plays an important role in how your body handles allergens. Avoiding foods that are greasy and most dairy during allergy season will help you manage your symptoms. We customize a food list for you according to TCM dietary guidelines and modern nutrition to keep you in your best state of health.
Please note that this post is for informational purposes only, please consult a professional before choosing any herb program or severe dietary changes.